June 16, 2011

Remembering Mark Linkous



I'm So Sick of Goodbyes

if I could just keep my stupid mind together
then my thoughts would cross the land for you to see
no one sees you on a vampire planet
no one sees you like I do

seconds click in which I'm changed to dust
whithered roots of knots and hairy rust
no one sees you on a vampire planet
no one sees you like I do

I'm so sick
of goodbyes, goodbyes
I'm so sick
of goodbyes, goodbyes
goodbyes

the night comes crawling in
on all fours
sucking up my dreams
through the floor

I'm so sick
I'm so sick
of goodbyes

I'm so sick
of goodbyes, goodbyes
I'm so sick
of goodbyes, goodbyes
I'm so sick, so sick, so sick
of goodbyes, goodbyes
I'm so, I'm so sick
From Wikipedia:

Mark Linkous (September 9, 1962 – March 6, 2010) was an American singer, songwriter and musician, best-known as leader of Sparklehorse. He was also known for his collaborations with such notable artists as Tom Waits, PJ Harvey, Daniel Johnston, Radiohead, Black Francis, Julian Casablancas, Nina Persson, Sean Terrington Wright, David Lynch, Danger Mouse, and Sage Francis.
A member of the 1980s indie band the Dancing Hoods, Linkous moved with the group from his native Virginia to New York City and later Los Angeles in hopes to achieve mainstream success. By 1988, the band had failed to land a major record label deal, and they disbanded with Linkous returning to Virginia, where he began writing songs under various monikers.

By 1995, he created a project named Sparklehorse, of which he would remain the only permanent member. The band released a quartet of critically acclaimed albums on Capitol Records:
Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot, Good Morning Spider, It's a Wonderful Life, and Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain.
Linkous lived the last years of his life in Hayesville, North Carolina, where he established Static King Studio. He committed suicide in Knoxville, Tennessee on March 6, 2010.

The official Sparklehorse web site can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment