July 10, 2016

ICYMI -- Comics Criticism and Whatnot for 7/3/16 to 7/9/16

Highlighting some great comics criticism being published, as well as other random things that have caught my eye over the past week.

(Note: I was off grid for most of this week, so this list was compiled last minute and I'm sure I missed a bunch of great stuff)

COMICS CRITICISM

* Greg Hunter's review of Rebekka Dunlap's DREAM TUBE tries to break down this really complex set of stories by framing each of them into what they are reminiscent of.

* John Seven reviews Sophie Campbell and Erin Watson's SHADOWEYES which he calls "one of the most enlightened comics" he's had "the pleasure of reading".

* Hillary Brown reviews Tony Millionaire's MAAKIES: DRINKY CROW DRINKS AGAIN and I'm pretty sure she liked it??

* You know I'm rushing through this list when I include Nick Gazin's COMIC BOOK LOVE-IN -- really obnoxious writing about some great books. Think of this as "exposure" to what not to do, and my promise never to link there again.

WHATNOT 

* Alex Dueben has this really interesting conversation with FRANK VIVA about his new book, Sea Change

* Rachel Davies interviews JULIA GFRöRER about context, collaboration, and working with themes

* Chase Magnett answers the question: "WHAT MAKES BATMAN V SUPERMAN A BETTER FILM THAN CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR"

* Ray Sonne chooses three women writing INSPIRING AUTOBIO COMICS 

*Ijeoma Oluo's WHY IT'S IMPORTANT TO CHALLENGE THE POWER OF GATEKEEPERS

No comments:

Post a Comment